A cooperation agreement among Keidanren, FTI, and Thammasat University was reached in 1992 to establish bachelor’s degree programs in engineering at Thammasat University with initial funds provided by Keidanren and FTI. After two years of successful operation, the “International Institute of Technology (IIT)” was founded on September 16, 1994. Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously presided over the Cornerstone Laying Ceremony of a new building at the Rangsit Center of Thammasat University. His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand graciously granted the Institute a new name, “Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology (SIIT),” on June 28, 1996.
On October 2, 1997, Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously presided over the Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology’s Inauguration Ceremony of its name and building. In 1999, FTI provided a parcel of land with an existing building at Bangkadi Industrial Park (BKD) for SIIT’s use for 30 years. In June 2001, the former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun inaugurated a new building at Bangkadi for Information Technology and Computer Science programs.
Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously presided over the inauguration of the Sirindhralai Building at Bangkadi on June 28, 2006. This new six-story building houses the School of Information, Computer, and Communication Technology (ICT), the School of Management Technology (MT), a library, a computer center, laboratories, and classrooms.
Backgrounds of the three founding organizations of Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology are briefly described as follows.
Founded in 1934, Thammasat University was originally dedicated to the teaching of humanities and social sciences. The University has produced a large number of graduates who have greatly contributed to the development and progress of Thailand. Realizing the significant impact of science and technology on the country’s economic growth, in the 1980’s and 1990’s Thammasat University initiated degree programs in engineering, technology, physical sciences, and medical sciences at its Rangsit Center, Pathum Thani.
Through the merger of several economic and industrial organizations, the Japan Federation of Economic Organizations (Keidanren) was established in August 1946. Keidanren was a private, non-profit economic organization representing virtually all branches of economic activities in Japan. Keidanren has maintained close contact with both public and private sectors at home and abroad, and endeavored not only to find practical solutions to economic problems but also to contribute to the sound development of economies of Japan and countries around the world.
In May 2002, Keidanren merged with Nikkeiren (Japan Federation of Employer’s Associations) to become Nippon Keidanren (The Japanese Business Federation). Headed by internationally distinguished leaders of the Japanese business community, Nippon Keidanren plays an active and influential role towards the achievement of harmonious economic prosperity for all mankind.
Formerly known as the Association of Thai Industries (ATI), the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) came into existence on December 29, 1987. It was a transformed body of ATI, which was created in 1967. FTI is an industrial private organization that brings together industrial leaders to promote Thailand’s socio economic development. The main objectives of FTI are to represent Thai manufacturers at both national and international levels, to help promote and develop industrial enterprises, to work with the government in setting up national policies, and to offer consulting services to members.
FTI is a full-service organization that cooperates with the government to help mobilize Thai industries to reach international markets. It acts as a “match-maker” between foreign industrialists and Thai resources which combine the financial strength, planning ability, and persuasive power of Thailand’s industrialists.